Our philosophy is to provide a welcoming, safe environment which makes excellent care available to people with serious illnesses. We also offer support to the family. Care is given by a courteous and appropriately qualified team of doctors, nurses and other staff.
At Forest Holme, we have access to the full range of investigations offered by Poole Hospital, but our emphasis on comfort and quality of life means that we only request such tests if we believe they will change our treatment. Blood tests can be performed on the ward but other investigations usually require an ambulance trip to the main hospital.
Similarly, we offer a full range of standard medical treatments. However, as our emphasis is on peace, dignity and comfort as people approach the end of their life, we do not have full resuscitation facilities on site. You are always welcome to discuss this with the senior doctors or nurses if you wish to understand the implications more fully.
The team at Forest Holme Hospice is here to help with:
- Management of symptoms that are difficult to control
- Fears and anxiety about your illness and the future
- Encouraging and enabling you to maintain your independence
- Advice on social and financial problems
- Spiritual issues
- Personal care in the last weeks or months of life
- Liaising with other staff (GP, district nurse, consultants and so on)
- Applying for relevant benefits and grants
- Advice about other services that may be available to you
- Educating and training others in palliative care
Our team holds a weekly meeting of all the professionals who are involved in the provision of specialist palliative care. This is called the MDT (multi-disciplinary team) meeting. The team of specialist doctors, nurses and other staff meets every week. This helps to ensure everyone has access to the best possible care, drawing on skills from the full multi-professional team. Every individual who is known to our service is discussed after they have met one of the team, and as appropriate thereafter. Your key worker (usually your specialist palliative care nurse) will discuss care and treatment options with you to develop an appropriate plan which respects your preferences and priorities.
The team at Forest Holme includes:
- Consultants in Palliative Medicine and Associate Specialist
- Specialist and generalist palliative care nurses
- Health care assistants
- Occupational therapist
- Therapies technician
- Lymphoedema specialist nurses
- Complementary therapists